Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Existentialism: Day One



Day One:

Descartes-
Cognito -(disagree mostly?)
first person perspective (important, necessity for a validation of being, of one's existence/experience?)
subjectivity (the experience of individual in a certain space and time-sujected to pre-existing conditions, ie. physicality?)

Thoughts I had during class:

  • You've got to believe in something even if it is nothing.
  • In conversation we are witnessing another's experience of our projected experience.
  • (write a book that you must choose a path and turn to page "12" or "33")-added to my personal to do list



  • I choose to believe I exist- being that I am faced with a choice, I am sure some people wouldn't think to think if they exist or not. I still think those people exist too.



  • I choose to believe that I am having an experience that I am an active participant in.
  • I believe that there is an/are a degree/degrees of objective reality.




Thoughts on freedom:

  • An image of static comes to mind where our freedom is so mixed into systems that are not completely free, including our own bodies.
  • I do believe in a degree/degrees of relative freedom within the systems that we are subjected too, that we find ourselves existing in currently, some by our choice some outside our control.
  • Some people have different degrees of freedom, based on their physical bodies and/or mental health- both which may be affected by experience.



  • I often feel trapped, I often feel free. I am not sure if my experience of freedom is felt more strongly when I am making "decisions", say about a life trajectory. I think would I would call my experience of freedom is something else entirely.
  • I believe that I can be aware of my subjectivity and objectivity at the same time. The example of watching a sunset, was given. I can be aware that my point of view- position in the universe, on this planet is unique and is causing me to experience the sunset as I do. I can be aware from another perspective this is an entirely different phenomenon. At what point would one say that it is no longer an "illusion"? There is the problem of getting outside of the system all together arises.Back to my experience of the sunset- Subjective experience wins, in my mind. When I remember, or think I remember a sunset, even if one believes that each memory is an invention(here could one say that each word is an invention-sorry digression) I visually remember my subjective experience, I sometimes remember thoughts I had during that subjective experience too.



  • Feels like the sum of this turns into white noise, or maybe that is because I am sitting by a fan.



  • Thinking in words.




No comments:

Post a Comment