Wednesday, October 5, 2011

freedom...freedom...freedom...

from the land of the free...

We live in the Land of the free. We value our freedom above all things. We by express our freedom often at the expense of others. We grasp tightly to it rights and liberties that it offers us. 
This is an interesting state of things considering the rising trend in philosophy that tells us that free will does not even exist. I certainly don't think that we have full freedom and I also don't believe that we are purely determined. I am not sure why this issue is a black or white issue. 
I believe that I have certain freedoms, and I have certain limitation. I believe that I can work to remove some of these limitations or perhaps restraining myself from expressing every freedom, creating limitations is of more value? We do have many freedoms in this country that others do not have. We live in a society where the value of asserting your individuality is prized above all things. I worked for a company, doing in home care, working with individuals who had suffered from traumatic brain injury and were therefore no longer able to care for themselves. The structure for this program was based on the desire to create a life where the victims of TBI, were allowed to live more like individuals instead of in an institution. There were three men in an apartment staffed 24/7 by a caregiver. In theory and in the beginning I really supported this idea. And when this program was initially started I believe the intentions were different that the way things eventually evolved. When the program was started it seemed to be more about creating a "family" for people with extreme care needs. The caregivers and receivers would forge meaningful relationship that would last over time. Giving the person of needs a sense of stability and freedom, and living a "normal" life.
Unfortunately this ideal hasn't carried over into the way things run. Caregivers rotate in and out of peoples life. The individuals live in small groups about three to an apartment. Often living with people they don't particularly care for or get along with. On a daily basis usually only interact with the caregivers and their housemates. So this intention of allowing for these individuals to live independent lives leaves them and their caregivers with a feeling of isolation.
I feel often that this original intention/desire for freedom, to live a free, independent life not only in this sense but in the greater sense of society, wee too are often left feeling isolated and without community. One thing after this experience and reflecting on my own life experience is how much more greatly I value being part of a community. And to backtrack, I don't think that within the caregiving experience we should revert to institutions, I do strongly feel that the best gift we can give to people living and working in these situations, is community and is in need of fresh ideas to make this happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment